Translate

Friday, May 10, 2013

Artwork from IB Art (2007-2008)

The IB HL Art projects called for creative application of your own personal and cultural background. Obviously, I was spoiled for choice when it came to deciding which things would represent my origins and upbringing. 



The Fire Eater chalk pastel | acrylic paint | wood

The Fire Eater was meant to represent Sri Lanka, the Perahera in particular. The reference photo was a fire eater I photographed in action at the Singapore zoo. It was also my first go at using chalk pastels, and marked my discovery of Degas and Cassatt


Mum and Me chalk pastel | paper

Growing comfort with the medium coupled with continued admiration for Cassatt's work (delicate pastel paintings of mums, babies and kittens) inspired me to follow this up with the portrait of my mother and baby me. The photos used for reference were taken by dad in England. After the IB exhibition in April, I gifted it to mum for her birthday.


The Steel Drummer linocut | paper

The Steel Drummer print, together with a paper clay sculpture of a female carnival dancer (not pictured) represented Trinidad, through calypso music and the Trinidad carnival. I used my classmate Louis as reference.






No comments:

Post a Comment